Liberty Science Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Planetarium Media Specialist
at Liberty Science Center
LSC - Jersey City
Liberty Science Center (LSC) is seeking a full-time, exempt Planetarium Media Specialist to join our Planetarium team. The Planetarium Media Specialist will produce spectacular images, animation, and video, laser, and star effects for the Jennifer Chalsty Planetarium. The Planetarium Media Specialist will work with the team in planning, storyboarding, creating, testing, and delivering original planetarium programming at LSC, and will support the distribution of that content to other theaters. The position will also present live planetarium programs, in addition to laser shows and giant screen film programs at LSC.
The Planetarium Media Specialist will report to the Planetarium Director.
What You’ll Bring
You are a thoughtful and organized team-player. You are an enthusiastic and motivated individual who strives to bring our guests an unforgettable planetarium experience with enthralling and stunning planetarium content, you have the ability to captivate audiences with your creative storytelling. You have a passion for showcasing and teaching your knowledge of what is possible in a digital, immersive dome.
What You’ll Do
- Maintain the entire visual production process from concept to final deliverable
- Draw storyboards and concept art for the show
- Develop pre-visualization sequences using 2D and 3D animation software
- Composite live action plates and visual effects
- Create final, polished sequences by building and animating models and lighting in 3D as well as creating 2D motion graphics
- Render and finish the shows for distribution
- Provide maintenance for the animation production suite and laser program hardware
- Collaborate with other institutions and theaters to produce and distribute LSC Dome content
- Present programming in Jennifer Chalsty Planetarium and on Science on a Sphere. Programs will include laser shows, live planetarium programs, live Science on a Sphere programs, and full-dome films to the general public, school groups, and special event audiences
- Collaborate with the planetarium team in the production of laser light shows for LSC and distribution
- Present programming in a portable planetarium as needed, typically in off-site venues
- Work closely with the Planetarium Director and the rest of the Planetarium Team to achieve the museum’s mission, vision and strategic goals while creating a valuable visitor experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Advanced knowledge of professional-level 2D and 3D animation and digital videography programs: Maya, 3D Studio Max, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Knowledge of story fundamentals and ability to advocate for a good story when working in the team and with writers.
- Ability to accept criticism and translate feedback into goals, objectives, and solutions
- Outstanding troubleshooting ability
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects while staying organize and detailed oriented
- Strong art and design fundamentals knowledge
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- 3+ years of experience in Adobe After Effects and Adobe Creative Suite
- 2+ years of experience with Autodesk Maya
- 1+ years of experience in modelling hard and organic surfaces, texture, rig, animate, light, render, and composite 3d scenes and assets
- 1+ years of experience with integrating scripts, 3rd party plug-ins, and custom shaders.
- 1+ years of experience in laser production
- Experience in digital planetarium programming; Digistar preferred
- Experience in working with a team to create planetarium or other educational programming
- Experience in public presentation
- Background in astronomy and space sciences
Although the Planetarium Media Specialist position does not have supervisory responsibilities, the position will take a significant role in training other planetarium staff in digital media work.
Classification and Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position. The ideal candidate must be available to work evenings and weekends as business needs require. The position includes working at least one weekend day and one evening shift per week.
The Planetarium Media Specialist will operate standard office equipment, such as a computer, phone, fax, and scanner. Specific duties also include operating the planetarium control panel using a mouse, knobs, and switches, and operating shows using a tablet. Must be able to work in low light conditions. The ability to climb stairs is required to access the theater and the operator console. The ability to lift 30 lbs. will be necessary. To work on projectors at floor level and other equipment, the ability to bend over and to stand on ladders is necessary.
LSC’s Work Culture at a Glimpse
Liberty Science Center’s culture can best be described as a fun, creative, collaborative, and casual working environment.
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful waterfront state park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Not only is Jersey City easy to get to from any points in Northern NJ and Manhattan, but it also holds the title of the most diverse city in the United States. Employees have access to free parking, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, and the NJ Path train. In addition, all employees have access to an on-site café, a terrace with stunning NYC views, and on-site yoga.
This position will require travel to attend training sessions and work-related conference. There will be 1-3 trips per year that can last 2-5 days duration.
Liberty Science Center provides generous benefits and perks for all eligible full-time employees, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) basic retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and federal holidays
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts (pre-tax income for eligible health and/or dependent care expenses)
- Commuter benefits (pre-tax income for parking or mass transit expenses)
- 25% discount for staff in the LSC store
- 25% discount in on-site cafeteria
- On-site yoga for $12/class
- Life and AD&D Insurance
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting why you are a perfect fit for this position.
Liberty Science Center provides an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, relationship status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, military service, blood traits, genetic info, family status or veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location where we operate.
LSC actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
To find out more, visit lsc.org or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter.