Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Camp Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
at ESF Camps
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- ESF Camps at William Allen Middle School
- Targeted Job Start Date
- Targeted Job End Date
- Seasonal Full-Time
Are you looking for the best summer job ever? Look no further because ESF is hiring 100+ lifeguards/swim instructors to work across our 13 locations from mid-June through mid-August!
Join our mission-driven team for a fun and rewarding summer! Make a positive impact on children while receiving comprehensive training, professional development, unique resume building and networking opportunities. ESF offers competitive compensation, lifeguard certification reimbursement, accredited internships, field work hours for graduate and undergraduate students, CEU credits for teachers, flexible schedules, year-round aftercare, mentoring opportunities and an employee referral program consisting of bonuses and ESF gear! Enjoy your weekends and no need to work evening shifts once camp is in session. Supplement weekly earnings by giving after-camp private swimming lessons!
What will you do all summer (in addition to having fun with your campers and fellow team members!)? A lifeguard/swim instructor is responsible for:
- Guarding the pool; observing and supervising the swimming area during scheduled shifts
- Supervising campers [ages four (4) to fifteen (15)] during open swim periods
- Ensuring the safety of everyone in the pool area
- Providing group swim instruction
- Actively participating in all aquatics activities
- Maintaining the cleanliness and upkeep of the pool facility
ESF is hiring motivated leaders and strong swimmers with prior experience supervising children who believe in ESF’s mission, build positive relationships and ensure the well-being of others.
Position Scope Factors
Lifeguards/swim instructors work from 8:15am to 3:40pm; Monday - Friday. Depending on the location, lifeguards/swim instructors are hired to work up to ten (10) consecutive weeks from mid-June through mid-August. ESF’s Lifeguard to camper ratio in the pool is 1:3.
You don’t currently have your Lifeguard certification including First Aid, CPR and AED? No problem! ESF will reimburse lifeguards/swim instructors up to $200 after a successful camp season for completing and passing a local or ESF-run lifeguard certification class.
You don’t have prior experience teaching swim lessons? That’s okay - ESF will teach you how to conduct swim lessons! Aquatics team members are trained on ESF’s swimming levels and lesson protocols prior to the start of camp. Teaching swim lessons is optional and lifeguard/swim instructors receive additional compensation for providing this private and semi-private instruction between 3:45pm and 5:00pm; Monday - Friday.
ESF lifeguards/swim instructors are not required to have a Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification to teach swim lessons. If you have your WSI certification, additional compensation is offered.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for lifeguarding and ensuring the safety of all campers in and around the pool
- Supervise campers [ages four (4) to fifteen (15)] during open swim periods
- Provide group swim instruction daily
- Actively participate in all aquatics activities
- Enforce all pool rules and regulations
- Maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of the pool facility
- Learn and implement the proper procedures for maintaining proper pool water quality (testing, chlorine, etc.)
- Teach private/semi-private swim lessons after regular camp hours (optional and additional compensation is offered)
- Give basic first aid if necessary
- Complete weekly progress reports for all campers
- Work effectively with other lifeguards/swim instructors and collaborate on daily responsibilities
- Serve as a positive role model to campers
- Exhibit ESF Core Values at all times and to adhere to all company policies
- Have fun
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Position Competencies for Success
- Understand and support the mission of the organization
- Commit to the growth and development of youth
- Work effectively with others in all levels of the organization in a professional manner
- Demonstrate outstanding communication skills; using clear, concise and professional language when interacting with campers, camp families and colleagues
- Be responsible, reliable and safe
- Always have a positive, can-do attitude
- Be patient, caring and creative
- Produce consistent, high-quality work
- Demonstrate excellent judgment; identify problems and work quickly to find solutions
- Be a flexible, adaptive and a team player
- Desire to make a difference in the life of a child
- Minimum of sixteen (16) years of age
- Must be a strong swimmer
- Ability to react quickly in emergency situations
- Previous lifeguarding experience (preferred but not required)
- Prior experience teaching swim lessons (preferred but not required)
- Previous competitive or organized swimming experience (preferred but not required)
- Lifeguard certification including First Aid, CPR and AED
- ESF will reimburse lifeguards/swim instructors up to $200 after a successful camp season for completing and passing a local or ESF-run Lifeguard certification course (Note: ESF offers lifeguard certification courses; inquire with your Hiring Director for more information)
- Reports directly to the Aquatics Director. May also take direction from and is overall accountable to the Site Director.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Must have the physical capability to see (near and far), climb, bend, swim, float, kneel and carry individuals during rescue operations
- Frequent exposure to chemicals commonly used in pool maintenance
- Ability to push/pull, lift and carry a minimum of thirty-five (35) pounds
- Must be able to perform all skills required for Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR and AED certification(s)
- Endurance to guard the pool and surrounding area for six (6) to eight (8) hours per day outside in varying weather conditions
- Ability to respond to emergency situations which may require running [up to one (1) mile in some cases)] and climbing stairs
- Possess physical capacity to fulfill all Essential Job Functions – Responsibilities listed above
*This Job Description is subject to change at any time.